Welcome to the Membership page of the Nigerian Institution of Water Engineers (NIWE), here, you will be guided through the registration process.
Categories of Membership:
The following cadres of membership are available; each cadre has its privileges and benefits as encapsulated in the NIWE bye laws:
- Fellowship Cadre
- Honorary Fellowship Cadre
- Life Member Cadre
- Corporate Member Cadre
- Associate Member Cadre
- Student Member Cadre
- Fellowship Cadre: The Fellows of NIWE are men and women who have distinguished themselves with long service (> 10 years) to the water engineering profession, industry and humanity in general and have demonstrated verifiable contributions to NIWE programmes. They must be suitably qualified with a degree in water sector engineering disciplines such as Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Mining Engineering, and other disciplines in the water sector such as Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. Long standing corporate members of NIWE who have contributed to the water engineering profession are also eligible to apply for upgrading to fellowship cadre, subject to the fulfilment of requisite conditions. Candidates who are already Fellows of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) are also eligible to apply, subject to the fulfilment of requisite conditions. All candidates for Fellowship conferment shall present a report documenting their contributions to the water engineering profession and/or water sector/industry.
- Honorary Fellowship Cadre: Honorary Fellows are individuals who are not engineers, but have contributed immensely to the water engineering profession and the water sector/industry in general; candidates must be water industry practitioners and is subject to the fulfilment of requisite conditions. All candidates for honorary Fellowship conferment shall present a report documenting their contributions to the water sector/industry.
- Life Member Cadre: This cadre is for engineers who wishes to remain NIWE members for life; it is subject to the requirements stated in section 4.0 below. There shall be no payment of annual due thereafter.
- Corporate Member Cadre: Corporate membership of NIWE is open to graduates of water industry related disciplines such as Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Mining Engineering, and other disciplines in the water sector such as Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. All candidates for corporate membership must fill an application form endorsed by a senior engineer who is a registered member of NIWE and COREN certified. It is pertinent to note that candidates are expected to be domiciled in a chapter of NIWE and/or NSE Branches spread across the country. In the absence of a NIWE member to endorse the candidate, a financially up to date Fellow of NSE may endorse the candidate
- Associate Member Cadre: Membership of this cadre is open to non-engineers from related disciplines in the water sector. Candidates should be suitably qualified in any water related discipline and employee in the water sector; participation in NIWE programmes at Chapter level is a core prerequisite for registration.
- Student Member: This cadre is open to undergraduates of water engineering related disciplines such as Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Mining Engineering, and other disciplines in the water sector such as Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. Applicants should fill the forms and must be endorsed by a registered NIWE member or the candidate’s Head of Department.
Procedures for Registration:
The registration of prospective members of NIWE takes place via the online portal, www.niwe.org.ng/registration, the processing of the applications has been made seamless, thus reducing the processing time. The procedure to follow is carefully outlined below:
- Fill the registration form at the e-portal, providing all details needed, ensure that all fields are filled to prevent unsuccessful submission. You can migrate to the portal by clicking
- Upload all credentials onto the portal including scanned academic certificates, professional certificates etc.
- Upload scanned payment tellers or transaction advice for the payment of prescribed registration fees of chosen cadre
- Upload e-copy of passport photo
- Provide endorsement by a registered member of NIWE or a Fellow of NSE
- Preview the form and print a personal copy of the documents
- Submit the form and await an auto generated mail acknowledging receipt of NIWE forms for processing
NB: Processing time is usually two weeks. Candidates requiring their certificates to be sent by speed post will have to pay for the courier service. Proxy registration is not allowed.
Approved registration Fees:
The following fees are payable for Membership of NIWE:
* Subject to fulfilment of stipulated conditions **Contact Secretariat
All payments should be made directly to NIWE National Bank Account as follows:
Bank Name: Zenith Bank
Account Name: Nigerian Institution of Water Engineers
Account Number: 1014162328